Adairville was settled in the late 18th century, and was originally known as "Dromgooles' Station". The Red River Meeting House was built in 1800 near the town and was the site of the first religious camp meeting in the United States. It was the birthplace of the Second Great Awakening. When the town was platted in Nov.1818 by Gen. Robert E Ewing and Michael Traughber, its name was changed to "Adairsville" in honor of the prominent Kentucky politician and war hero John Adair. The "s" had been dropped from the name by 1881 and the city was incorporated in 1833.
Auburn was originally called Federal Grove and then Woodville, the present name dates from the 1860s; it was named after Auburn, New York, the previous residence of the surveyor of the town A.J. Carney. It was incorporated by the state assembly in 1865
The local post office was established at a nearby stagecoach stop in 1852 under the name "Henrysville" in honor of the local postmaster's family name.
In 1872, Lewisburg was surveyed, platted, and founded by the Owensboro and Nashville Railroad to serve as a depot on its line. It was named for Eugene C. Lewis, the civil engineer for the railroad. In 1877, the post office moved to the new community and changed its name. The city was formally incorporated by the state assembly the next year
Russellville was first settled by Gasper Butcher, as a frontier settlement of the Transylvania Colony of Virginia, around 1780. Although the area is known to have been called "Big Boiling Spring", "Gasper Butcher's Spring", and "Butcher's Station", WR. Jillson was unable to find written records of any habitation before 1790. That year William Cook and his wife erected Cook's Cabin, accompanied by eighteen-year-old William Stewart. Also known as "Cook's Station", the community was located about 1 mile (1.6 km) east of the present city. It was renamed "Logan Court House" when it was chosen as the seat of newly formed Logan County in 1792
General William Russell was given a 2,000-acre (810 ha) grant here for his military service during the American Revolution. He donated part of this property, in 1795, as a platted section for the county seat, known as Logan Court House. The town was renamed in Russell's honor in 1798. It was formally established by the state legislature on January 15, 1810. It was incorporated as a city on February 19, 1840.